Monday, September 17, 2007

Soccer

Ahhh, soccer. What would September be without it.

Owen's playing soccer for the first time this year. It's been 5 years since Dave and I were insane enough to try to coach the youngest players, and I'd almost forgotten that there is nothing more hilarious than a 3-4 year old soccer game. Nothing. We've got a pretty good team. I had my doubts, as half of our players just turned three this summer, but after watching the opposing team's players pick up the ball and carry it down the field, bring extra balls onto the field and then cry when they had to be removed, and turn summersaults midfield, I think we're doing o.k. Well, except for the pink shirts. How many colors are there in the rainbow and we had to end up with pink shirts. It took a lot of wheeling and dealing to get the "girl shirt" on his body. "No mom, not THAT shirt, I not a GIRL!"

Molly's got the same coach and most of the same players she did last year, and they totally dominated their game. I think the final score may have been 549 to nothing. She's really playing her position well and got two assists yesterday. Assists make me happier than goals as that means she's not a ball hog and is actually aware of how the game and her position are played rather than just scrambling to kick the ball in the goal.

I always think that as I get more and more seasons under my belt as a 'soccer mom' that I'll learn to just sit and enjoy the game and not scream at the referees, but it doesn't happen. I'm the 'hollerin' mom'. That's my destiny and there's just no escaping it.

No comments: