Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Brrrr! And C is for Cactus!

Okay so um...why is it freezing already? It's *still* September. It's damned cold outside. I got up this morning and threw a gallon of apple cider and some mulling spices in the crock pot. It's lovely and warm and almost makes me feel better. But, it's officially Ohio Grey outside and all I want to do is sleep. I'm convinced I was a bear in another life.

We did school today! Hurrah! Last week was crazy with first one thing and then another and we didn't get much done. Yesterday we were busy getting ready for a house showing in the afternoon, but today we're back at it. Today's little project was for the letter C. Now in hindsight, I should have maybe tried to shape this cactus so it looks like a C??? I don't know. Feel free to try that and send me a picture!

Gather up something spikey. I used pine needles. Toothpicks would have been good as well.

Then just draw a cactus on a piece of green paper, have the kids color it and then glue on the spikeys. I had a brain fart at the last possible minute and decided that it would be fun to paint the cactus with a mixture of glue, water, salt and green food coloring to give it some texture before adding the spikeys. Divine intervention did not allow me to remember where I'd put the paintbrushes, though.

I was completely convinced that the cold and the wind would take the fire right out of my brood and once they warmed up they'd happily fall into slumber...which is what *I* would like to be doing, but they're apparantly immune to the whole get cold, eat, warm up, pass out thing that happens to any other normal warm-blooded person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute! might be nice to show them... http://wholepicture.org/photos/jgarizonahorsemaster/images/_MG_8540.jpg http://wholepicture.org/photos/jgarizonahorsemaster/images/_MG_8550.jpg http://wholepicture.org/photos/jgarizonahorsemaster/images/_MG_8558.jpg

The cactus I saw in AZ that looked like Cs also looked like something else....

Love, H